Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Boston

It would have been really great if I would have learned to do my blog by phone before I left for Boston, but alas I did not.  I am writting now though.  Aaron and I went on a 5 day, 4 night adventure to Boston.  It was a great time and we got to see a lot of sites.  I will post some pictures later as soon as I have a chance to download them.  But in the meantime I will give you a synopsis of our trip. 

On Thursday we flew in and found our hotel (beautiful view from the 23rd floor).  Then we went on a walk up to Quincy market and the North End.  The north end is the italian district.  It was so cool with everyone out in the streets.  It was a very lively place with streets that smelled like heaven (aka garlic and bread).  We went to a place called Ristorante Ricardo.  The food was good, but unfortunately I did not like what I ordered.  Then we went to the place called Mike's Pastries.  We got a cannoli and a lobster tail.  They were both cream filled goodness.

On Friday we took the Emily tour (the friend that we stayed with the rest of our trip) of Boston.  We did most of the Freedom trail and had lunch in Qunicy Market.  When we left town we rode the subway back to Emily's car and headed out to what she called "the country".  I am still convinced that it is basically a suburb of Boston.  The only difference between what we call a suburb in Denver and what they call the country in Boston is the fact that you cannot see anything past the road that you are on because of all the damn trees.  While I am on this subject - I do not like the fact that you cannot see anything past the street that you are on.  I mean I like trees and all but there is no real change in elevation so you never get over the tops of trees to see anything.  It feels like you are constantly going through one of those hedge mazes.  It was getting to the point of being claustrophobic for me. 

On Saturday we took a drive to the north shore and got to see some fishing towns.  We went to Rockport and Ipswitch.  Rockport is apparently where they filmed part of the movie The Proposal and Ipswitch is famous for their "Crabshack".  I would not recommend it however unless you want a heart attack on your way out the door.  My only regret to the north shore is that we did not get any fresh seafood.  I wanted them to cook a live lobster in front of me and chow down on it.  Next time.

On Sunday we went to relive history.  We went and saw where Paul Revere did his night ride and saw where the first shots were fired.  Seeing the birthplace of America's freedom was a very cool thing.  And knowing that they are trying (now) to preserve this history is an amazing thing.  We also went to a farm.  There are actual farms there and they make and harvest everything and sell it out of their shop/barn thing.  They are super busy places and have the most tastey apple cider donuts and fresh apple cider.  Aaron and I decided that if we lived there we would be broke and fat.  The Nashoba Winery was a fun place to visit.  They are still new brewing their own beers, so they are yucky.  I would give them a few years to get better at it.  The fruit wines were delicious and refreshing.  I would also recommend the spirits (mostly the brandys, but not the vodka).  The peach brandy is so refreshing and crisp that I really wish that I could have one on a hot day while sitting in the shade.

On Monday Emily took us to the airport prior to the sun being up and then we headed home.  Our flight landed 50 minutes early.  Must have been good weather.  Anyway if you have not been to the Boston area I would highly recommend it, but make sure that you get the lobster!

No comments:

Post a Comment